Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Blog Award

I have a lot going on right now, and my blog has fallen by the wayside for the last few weeks, but I had a reason to stop and do a quick post. My friend Sharon at Dear Little Girl of Mine awarded the Liebster blog award to our humble, little blog. Thank you, Sharon!



The purpose of the award is to share blogs with others. I've been given 10 questions to answer and then I pass the award along to 2 other blogs.

1. Why did you start blogging?

When we were looking into adoption we were so encouraged and inspired by other families' blogs. Just reading about other adoption journeys and following along until children were settled into their new families was so great. When we decided to adopt, I wanted to share our story in hopes of encouraging others.

2. What post on your blog is your favorite?

Our Secret Treasure is probably my favorite. Our first trip to visit Ally was a life-changing experience and this was a day I'll always remember.


3. How did you choose your blog's name?

Early on, I felt that Isaiah 45:2 (the verse at the top of my blog) was given as a promise for our adoption.


4. What are your hobbies?

Do laundry and cooking count? I really do like cooking and would consider that a hobby. Reading. I occasionally have time to crochet, I used to make soap and sew a little bit. I love to garden, but only have a small flower garden right now.

5. What made you decide to adopt a special needs child?

We learned that children with SN are institutionalized in some countries and, at this time, their only hope is adoption. After learning that some countries allow large families to adopt, it was something that we prayed about and then we stepped out in faith to do.

6. What's your favorite book?

I really can't pick a favorite. I haven't had time for fiction in years. Besides the Bible I read Oswald Chambers every day and I love other Christian authors who take deep truths and make them clear and easy to grasp. I also love Christian biographies.

7. Approximately how many blogs do you read each week?

I have about 5-6 blogs that I check daily and I have another dozen or so that I check weekly.

8. What is your favorite room in your home?

My favorite room is my kitchen. I spend an unreal amount of time in my kitchen. Every day my teen/adult children sit on the barstool while I'm working. I make them an iced coffee and we talk. Often someone turns on the kitchen radio and a little one will walk in and grab my hand to dance. It's the primary place where the day to day is lived and food and memories are made.

9. What is your favorite season?

Definitely summer is my favorite...warm and carefree. I love it when the trees are finally full and green and it's warm and the kids play outside. I love it when shoes are optional and it only takes a few minutes to get ready to go anywhere.

10. What is one of your favorite movies?

I love historical/biographical movies. One that I love is Amazing Grace (about William Wilberforce).



The two adoption blogs that I've chosen to pass this award along to are: The Road Less Traveled
and Hearts Toward Home. I love both of these blogs and have been encouraged by the stories of their adoption journeys as well as their posts about family life.

Here are their 10 questions.

1. What led to your decision to adopt a child with special needs?
2. In what ways did God let you know He was with you during your adoption process?
3. What is your favorite childrens' book?
4. What is your favorite dessert?
5. If you had a whole day to yourself, what would you do?
6. Are you a morning person or a night owl?
7. Do you have one piece of advice or encouragement for other adopting families?
8. What is your favorite holiday?
9. What is your favorite post on your blog?
10. How many months were each of your adoptions from start to finish?

2 comments:

  1. I love your answer to "your favorite room" -- it just sounds so homey. It kind of reminds me of days when my older kids will come in my bedroom and they will all be on my bed talking to me and laughing as I am cleaning or working on something. I have actually taken a few pictures of those days and whenever I look at them I am fondly reminded of those times -- this doesn't happen frequently like it does in your kitchen. Don't you love having older kids and young ones, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, it's so crazy and it's so absolutely wonderful. We've certainly been blessed!!

      Delete